Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Everything is better with bacon

With the start of November the big day is already on my mind. By big day I mean of course thanksgiving. My roommate and I have already started planning out what we will be making. She asked me if I might be able to make a pie, perhaps apple. "Sure," I said, I can make an apple pie.
Later that night as I started thinking about the pie I had promised to make, I realized that there was only one pie plate in the house and it was already promised to another thanksgiving dish. Maybe I could make a tart. And then, just as I was drifting off to sleep I wondered, could I put bacon in an apple tart?
The next morning when I awoke I set to it. I looked high and low for a recipe for a bacon apple tart. Well, such a thing does in fact exist. However every recipe was for a savory tart with gross things like onions in it. This was supposed to be dessert.
There was only one thing to do, invent my own bacon apple tart. I ended up borrowing heavily from my trusty Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. You know the one, red checked, most of the pages gummed together except the page with the chocolate pudding recipe, that page is suspiciously missing. I loosely followed the directions for the "country peach tart." My roommate would caution you against simply looking up this particular recipe, she often asks me why I even use recipes when I ignore most of the directions and adjust the ingredients to my liking (what we have in the house).
So, here is what I actually did. The results were delicious and will be repeated on thanksgiving.
Start with your favorite pie crust recipe. Don't be lazy here and buy one, they really aren't that hard. I use a combination of my trusty cookbook's recipe and Alton Brown's tips from his Good Eats show.
Pre heat the oven to 375°
Cook 3 pieces of bacon until crispy, drain
In a bowl combine:
1/4 c sugar
4 tsp flour
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
3 c sliced apples (about 3, with a few snacks)
1 T lemon juice
Crumble the bacon and mix in last
Place the pie crust on a baking sheet (a round pizza pan works well). Plop the filling into the middle and fold the edges of the crust in over the filing. Feel free to make a fancy design with the apples that are visible in the center. Bake for about 30 minutes. Put foil over the edges of the crust so it doesn't burn. Bake another 20 to 30 minutes until the apples are soft and the house smells amazing.
Let the tart set for at least 10 minutes. If you are more patient than I, you will let it sit for 30 minutes, good luck with that.
To make this dessert extra classy, put it on a plate and dust with powdered sugar.
Enjoy with roommates, friends or in the pantry, where no one can see that you just ate half of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment