Thursday, November 10, 2011

Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sometime while I was working on the bacon apple tart I had another epiphany. Why not make bacon chocolate chip cookies? I mean bacon covered chocolate is good. Why not take it one step further?
I thought about this for a while and figured I could just add bacon to chocolate chip cookies. Then I thought some more.
Start out with a clean seasoned skillet. I realized in the middle of making my first batch that I had cooked lake trout in my skillet the night before. In this case I think I got lucky in terms of taste transfer, I still don't like to think about it. You see, although some may call it gross, I am of the school that the less I clean my skillet, the better. I have learned though that this can backfire after one too many fishy tasting pancakes. Now, as a general rule (except for last night) I do try and give the skillet a little scrub after I fry fish.
So, as I said starting with a clean skillet, fry four pieces of bacon until crisp. Drain bacon and reserve 1/2 cup of the grease. Now let everything cool down. Go and do something else for about an hour. Do not speed up the process by putting the bacon grease in the refrigerator. Just be patient. Going for a 5 mile run would be a good idea.
Ok, here is the rest:
Mix together the 1/2 cup bacon grease (if you didn't get that much grease from your bacon add butter to make up the difference, butter is also a good substitution if you don't have an ultra marathon in your future)
1/4 c granulated sugar
1/2 c brown sugar, I live at 5,000 feet so I don't pack my brown sugar, I find it helps with the whole altitude thing, you do what you need to do.
Mix this together then add:
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg (your roommate will be happy to give you one if you share your cookies)
1/2 tsp vanilla
Now mix in 1 1/4 c flour
Next ingredient is 1 c chocolate chips and finally crumble in the bacon, you should have about 3/4 of a cup.
Dole out 1T balls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. In between batches put the remaining dough in the fridge. I baked mine at 375° for 12 minutes a batch. I would recommend checking your cookies after 8 minutes and then making your own call on how much longer they need. Depending on how much dough sampling you did, you will get about 2 dozen cookies. If the cookies will be around longer than a day I recommend storing them in the fridge.
Serve these cookies with a tall glass of milk (or your favorite lactose free alternative) and a side of leafy greens to counteract their affects. These cookies should be taken with physical activity as well, such as a recovery food for an ultramarathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment